IMPORTANCE OF REMEMBERING TO “DRAIN AND COVER”
May 11, 2018
Noelda Lopez, Public Information Specialist
Office: 352-589-6424, After Hours: 352-728-7662
Eustis, FL–The Florida Department of Health in Lake County (DOH-Lake) emphasizes the importance of protecting against mosquito-borne diseases. DOH-Lake works with partner agencies, including the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, mosquito control agencies, and state universities year-round to monitor for the presence of illnesses carried by mosquitoes.
“With the wet season upon us, we want to remind our residents that with rain comes mosquitoes” said Aaron Kissler, Health Officer for the Florida Department of Health in Lake County. “After a storm it is important for everyone to act quickly in order to prevent mosquito breeding by practicing “Draining and Cover” whenever and wherever possible”
DOH-Lake advises the public to remain diligent in protecting themselves from mosquito bites by remembering to “Drain and Cover”.
DRAIN standing water to stop mosquitoes from multiplying
- Drain water from garbage cans, house gutters, buckets, pool covers, coolers, toys, flower pots or any other containers where sprinkler or rain water has collected.
- Discard old tires, drums, bottles, cans, pots and pans, broken appliances and other items that aren't being used.
- Empty and clean birdbaths and pet's water bowls at least once or twice a week.
- Protect boats and vehicles from rain with tarps that don’t accumulate water.
- Maintain swimming pools in good condition and appropriately chlorinated. Empty plastic swimming pools when not in use.
COVER skin with clothing or repellent
- CLOTHING - Wear shoes, socks, and long pants and long-sleeves. This type of protection may be necessary for people who must work in areas where mosquitoes are present.
- REPELLENT - Apply mosquito repellent to bare skin and clothing.
- Always use repellents according to the label. Repellents with DEET (N, N-diethyl-m-toluamide), picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus, and IR3535 are effective.
- Use mosquito netting to protect children younger than 2 months old.
COVER doors and windows with screens to keep mosquitoes out of your house
- Repair broken screening on windows, doors, porches, and patios.